Thursday, August 30, 2012

The GREEN Smoothie

Let me tell you about my latest discovery...Bennett, my non-veggie eating child will chug down a spinach smoothie! Im sure it helps that he has yet to associate the color green with veggies, that the smoothie is packed with other yummy things like bananas, pineapple, yogurt...but he really loves it!
I got the idea to make this smoothie initially from Pinterest, and then in my efforts to put a little more fruits and veggies into MY diet, I decided to try it out! It was so funny, as I was making the smoothie the other morning, Bennett wouldnt take his eyes away from what I was doing. He was mesmerized by my placing things into the blender and blending them. After I had finished making my smoothie, I sat down to breakfast and began to eat. I tried my smoothie (it was really good) and by that time, Bennett had decided he needed some of his own so I let him have a drink of mine and immediately after, he started moving his hands excitedly wanting more. I poured some into a sippy cup for him and he drank it all within just a couple minutes!
Now mommies, I know that you are thinking what I thought at first..."there is NO WAY my child will even drink this, let alone like it!" But I think its worth a try and even if your little one doesnt have a taste for it, maybe you will like it and it will help you get a little extra fruit and veggies into your diet!

Here is the recipe:

2 handfulls of spinach
2 bananas
1 cup of chunk pineapple
1/2 cup strawberries
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup water


Put your water and yogurt into the blender first, then the fruit, then the spinach. You want to blend this for a long time so there arent ribbons of spinach in the smoothie and its fine enough for your little one to drink through a sippy cup. Also, I dont like my smoothies not "frozen," so I freeze the pineapple or strawberries so the smoothie is thicker. If you do this, make sure to mix the smoothie with some milk for your little one so its thin enough to drink through a sippy.

 
 
When your finished, you have this yummy smoothie for you and your little one to enjoy! Hope you like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment